In this page
VertiPaq Analyzer is a set of open-source libraries to represent statistical information related to Tabular models.
The VertiPaq Analyzer libraries are integrated in several tools and use a file format (VPAX) to transfer information extracted from a Tabular model.
VertiPaq Analyzer Libraries
The VertiPaq Analyzer libraries source code is available in the VertiPaq-Analyzer GitHub repository. Each module has a corresponding NuGet package:
- Dax.Metadata is a representation of the Tabular model including additional information from DMV and statistics about data distribution in the model. This is a .NET Standard library without dependencies on the Tabular Object Model (TOM). Dax.Metadata is the core of VertiPaq Analyzer and includes all the information about the data model in a format that will allow a complete anonymization of the data model in a future release.
- Dax.Model.Extractor populates the Dax.Metadata.Model extracting data from a Tabular model. This library depends on TOM and .NET Framework 2.7.1.
- Dax.Model.Extractor.NetCore is the .NET Core version of Dax.Model.Extractor and depends on the .NET Core version of TOM.
- Dax.ViewModel provides a view over Dax.Metadata.Model data that can be integrated in applications using the view model, such as the one implemented in DAX Studio (use DAX Studio 2.9.4 or later version). This library is a .NET Standard library.
- Dax.ViewVpaExport exports the Dax.Metadata.Model for the consumption in VertiPaq Analyzer 2.0 client tools. This library is a .NET Standard library.
- Dax.Vpax supports the VPAX format. This library depends on .NET Framework 2.7.1.
- Dax.Vpax.NetCore supports the VPAX format. This library depends on .NET Core 3.1.
Using the VertiPaq Analyzer libraries, a client tool can easily extract the information from a Tabular model, export them in a standard file, and read the same information for visualization purposes.
The VPAX file format is a ZIP file containing the following files:
- DaxModel.json is a serialization of the Dax.Metadata.Model.
- DaxVpaView.json is a serialization of the Dax.ViewVpaExport that is used to import data in the VertiPaq Analyzer 2.0 Excel file using a specific macro.
- Model.bim is an optional file that exports the complete model in TOM format. This file is not used by current client tools, but it could be useful for future extensions.
- DAX Studio: extract, save, and read VPAX files. Includes an embedded visualization of the most important views.
- Tabular Editor 3: extract, save, and read VPAX files. Includes an embedded visualization of the most important views.
- VertiPaq Analyzer 2 Excel file: read VPAX files and shows predefined reports using PivotTables and Excel tables. Excel metrics